Saturday, May 30, 2015

6 Weeks - 10 Countries - Tons of Towns and Cities - Priceless Adventure



So, thus ends this epic journey that we did around Europe.  Six weeks is quite a while to be living out of a carryon.  We traveled all over the place, saw a lot of things, met a lot of great people.  We even made a pit stop on the way back through Annapolis to attend a wedding of two really close friends.  What a great experience.  You know something that really struck me while we were venturing around.  It didn’t really matter where we were, the small towns in Ireland, or Prague, or Italy, or Amsterdam, everyone was pretty much the same.  People are very friendly and welcoming as long as you are respectful and welcoming yourself.  It’s funny, no matter where we were, you saw families playing in the parks, kids laughing, young people shuffling off to school, people getting a snack on their lunch break, folks going out to the club with the hopes of not going home alone.  It oddly reminds you of home, but is different enough to make sure you aren’t completely comfortable.  It’s really quite remarkable how similar we all are, yet how different.  

You know what else really struck me, and I’m sure struck Sarah as well.  We went 6 weeks living out of a carryon.  It’s amazing how resourceful you become.  And for the entire 6 week trip, we had about 2 weeks of it planned, the rest we just kind of rolled with it and figured it out as we went.  And only with a few mishaps.  Really, it’s a great way to travel, it leaves you the flexibility to go where you want, and change course if you find something better or more interesting.  
Anyway, enough with the philosophical stuff.  What did I really enjoy the most?  How about the top 5 things that we did over the course of 6 weeks, across 10 countries, and multiple cities, villages and towns? 

5) Barcelona – What an awesome place!  Very fun, and very beautiful.  The people and food are great.  But Italy wasn’t really our cup of tea, but I was really worried that we were getting to the end of our trip and we were just worn out.  Then we showed up to Barcelona and we loved it.  So I guess it speaks for itself. 

4) Edinburgh – I know we had friends here that we stayed with, so that made for a whole different experience.  It was great to see them, but what a cool interesting place.  The history of the city was really fascinating.  Seeing it through the eyes of some locals was fantastic.  Just avoid the deep fried mars bars if at all possible.

3) Munich – I know I know… how can Oktoberfest not be #1??  It was great.  It was such a fun experience and there’s nothing that makes me giggle more than remembering the Germans in their traditional Bavarian dress doing the Macarena.  And the Beer, and the pretzels… WOW!  Awesome!  Great town, and I would love to come back and see it when it’s not completely overrun with drunks, but it sure as hell was a good time.

2) Ireland – I had been to England before.  I was half thinking it would be similar.  But I was drastically wrong.  Yeah, as the lady in the pub in Galway put it, “You don’t come to Ireland for the weather” But the rolling green hills, the people were super friendly.  We had some friends come meet up with us in Dublin.  It also doesn’t hurt that PSU ended up beating UCF for the opening game of the season.  Great place, and it just makes me want to go back to see more of what the Emerald Isle has to offer.  We did so much, and yet there is so much more to see and do. 

And for # 1: Berlin – Odd I know, it’s strange that of all the great places we went Berlin stands out.  Why it was my favorite I can’t quite put my finger on.  I don’t know if it was the way that the history of the place was something that we all lived through.  I don’t know if it was the feeling you get that this city has and will survive anything that is thrown at it.  It gets burned to the ground, bombed to hell, chopped up into pieces and keeps rebuilding bigger and better.  The way that it’s so international without really trying.  It was almost comfortable, to the point of we could actually see ourselves living there.  It’s really strange to feel that way about a city.  There’s such an energy there that you feel like anything is possible.  It’s new and old at the same time.  It’s funny, everyone goes to Paris, or Rome, or London, you don’t ever hear anyone say, “I’m going to Europe to go to Berlin.”  And you know what… I don’t really mind, it’s such a cool place there’s really no reason for everyone to flock there anyway. 

So there it is my favorite places from our trip.  We really wish all of you could have joined us on our adventures.  Hopefully this little video recap will let you feel a little like you were along with us:

No comments:

Post a Comment