Monday, June 8, 2015

"Sometimes you'll never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory."

When first planning to go to Marrakech, I was hesitant to say the least.  Not knowing what to expect: what will I to wear? Do I have to cover my head/ hair? Will it be safe? Will I melt due to the African sun? So many questions, so many unknowns.  I was definitely crossing out of my comfort zone.  Our first night there was completely and utterly overwhelming.  It was ungodly crowded, insanely hot, a language that I could not even begin to understand, cars/ bikes/ mopeds/ people/ carriages/ carts/ vendors/ stores/ monkeys/ snakes absolutely everywhere.  Every step we took, we were bombarded by people trying to sell us something or guiding us into their store.  I'm sure the combination of fatigue and culture shock, made me weary in such a foreign town.  I honestly wasn’t sure how I would manage 6 more days of this place.  Alas, the end of our time in Marrakech has come and I can easily say that I am sad to leave.  Despite the first night, I loved every minute.  The food was amazing! So many delicious tagines, couscous, crepe-like bread dipped in honey, fresh squeezed OJ, and my new favorite mint tea.  Man am I going to miss the mint tea.  And for not being a tea person before now, I am most definitely going to figure out the recipe for traditional Moroccan Mint Tea.  I am even going to start growing my own mint in my garden so I’ll always have fresh mint at hand.  Another cool part about Marrakech was the presence of their culture from traditional dress to daily prayers broadcast throughout the city. Not to mention, the artists’ creations displayed throughout the Djeema el-Fna.  From leatherwork, to the ceramics, the clothing, food, pastries, spices, and jewelry, I thoroughly enjoyed just walking through the square and seeing all there was too see .  There was so much culture and tradition tucked within the chaos of the city.  Additionally, our excursions showed me two completely different sides of Morocco, a very familiar coastal town in Essaouira and the other worlds away in the middle of the Sahara.  I am so glad to have come to such a special place and gotten a taste of what Morocco has to offer.  I hope to continue my travels to see other cities and towns within this beautiful country.  Oh and if your ever wondering my worth in camels, its 5,000. Right before we head out to the airport, one of the jewelry vendors asked Ray if he could buy me for said price.  My response: That’s a whole lot of camels! 

1 comment: